Re: OT: How long has your Linux system been up ?

* Paul McHale <pmchale@doubleesolutions.com> spake thus:
> > spin at all. and with the near 2 dozen IBM disk drive failures
> > ive had in the past 6 months, im even more for never turning
> > off the system.
>
> When I worked PC support contracts at Honeywell, we would always tell people
> to leave the CPU (and HD) running.  Electrically, there are a lot of
> transients at startup.  With older supplies, it was probably a lot more of
> an issue.  Systems that weren't power cycled once a day were almost trouble
> free even back then.

Yes, power supplies like running, but then again, from my time as a A/V
repairman, I learnt that the thing that often blows first is the
capacitors in the power supply. And they go because the *dry out*, i.e.
the warmer they are (over a long time) the more likely they are to go.

Regards,
Stig

--
brautaset.org