Re: booting is very difficult

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:42:07 -0600, Rory O'Connor wrote:

>i just re-built my debian system from the disk image, and i'm having the
>same problem i had before i rebuilt it -- it hangs at "LI" when trying to
>boot from the hard disk.  I can boot from the emergency floppy just fine
>though.

I just started with Debian this month, and have already seen a similar
problem on a machine I got from surplus. It had one internal IDE HD,
and one internal SCSI HD plugged into an Adaptec card.

I installed Debian on the IDE HD, but the system wouldn't boot. In my
case, I found that it appeared that the BIOS was configured to select
the SCSI HD as the primary boot device. I assumed that since there
were no bootable partitions on that device, LILO was hanging.

I also found that the BIOS was password protected, and that I couldn't
change this configuration without the password. Removing the motherboard
battery for a while solved that. The BIOS defaults were reloaded and
the system booted up normally.

HTH
Kevin B.