Re: Questions on pop3 servers

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, nate wrote:

> Mike Dresser said:
>
> > I'm looking to see if there's a replacement pop3 server I can use
> > that can scan the mailboxes for new mail, without having to scan
> > ALL of the mailfile, as it does currently.
>
> cyrus. courier can too but im not sure if the version thats in
> potato supports pop. i was in almost the same situation
> about a year ago. we were using UW IMAPD and it was dog slow
> so i looked into courier and cyrus and decided on cyrus
> because of pop3 support. even when loading an inbox with
> 5,000 messages cpu is less then 1% on the server. compared
> to UW IMAPd which was 100% for ~5-10 minutes
>
> nate

This uses a one-file-per-message method, right?

What program would i use to remove old messages automatically once a month
or something?

Although, I suspect some ls -l magic with a sort piped into rm would work
;)

I think I saw something about cyrus supporting more than one client per
mailbox, which would be good, when netscape goes braindead and tries to
check mail while already downloading, which thinks the password is
incorrect, and asks the user for it. :/

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Mike