temporary freeze related to gnome double-click?

  this is quite strange, it happens with at least two gnome apps
(gnucash and freeamp):

  when I double-click on some item (item that is opened by
double-clicking) the application freezes for certain time and fvwm
freezes as well (focus doesn't changes, no window decoration or fvwm
modules react to mouse)

  I am not running gnome desktop, only some gnome applications.

  when using some other method to open the item (keyboard shortcuts,
rightclick and pick up 'open' from menu) there is no problem (no delay,
no freezing), the problem is only when I double-click. It happens with
e.g. account in gnucash.

  there is no problem with double-clicking in general

  there is no high load, the rest of the computer works fine (e.g. I can
switch to another virtual console and do something without any delays).

  any ideas about what's going on?

  system:

  debian unstable
  fvwm 2.4.0
  gnome: not sure, most of the gnome components are 1.4.0.x or 1.4.1.x

  TIA

	erik