Re: setting up www access

Simon R Tod said:
> I have acquired a username, password and phone number for a local
> isp and am having trouble setting up a dial-up connection. I've
> been trying to use the default PPP utility that comes with GNOME
> but it seems to want lots additional information I don't know how
> to provide.
> Any help much appreciated.

try using the pppconfig utility and use pon/poff to logon.

at least using that you can login/out of X all day long
and never lose your connection(haven't used that particular
util but if its like most X based dialup utils you'll lose
the connect if you restart X or logout)

also reccomend getting nameserver ips for your ISP and
default gateway if needed. if the isp can't tell you
nameserver ips(maybe their support is full of idiots)
you can usually do a WHOIS on their domain(whois domain.com)
and get the IPs from that. the PPP subsystem will
attempt to get DNS and gateway information from the
remote terminal server if possible, but not all systems
provide that info(i haven't used one that didn't provide
that info in at least 5 years ..)

nate