apt-get: 404s on update/install

I'm getting problems with 404 codes on apt-get dist-upgrade or install
attempts, in particular, from http.us.debian.org.

A typical result is like:

    Reading Package Lists...
    Building Dependency Tree...
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or \
    old ones used instead.
    Reading Package Lists...
    Building Dependency Tree...
      python2.1 python2.1-tk python2.2
    The following packages have been kept back
      aspell gabber galeon gtkhtml libgtkhtml18 libnspr4 libsmpeg0 \
      lynx-ssl mozilla
      mozilla-browser mozilla-mailnews mutt python-tk python1.5-tk \
      sgmltools-lite
      skipstone smpeg-xmms tetex-extra tuxeyes vim xfs-xtt xmms-infinity
    61 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 22  not upgraded.
    Need to get 39.4MB/39.9MB of archives. After unpacking 11.9MB will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org \
    unstable/main dpkg 1.9.18 [1036kB]
    Err http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main gzip 1.3.2-1
      404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]
    Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main sysvinit 2.83-2 [108kB]
    Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main freeamp-doc \
    2.1.final-6 [281kB]
    Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main lilo 1:22.1-1 [171kB]
    Get:5 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main net-tools 1.60-2 [230kB]

    [...]

    Get:39 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main lilo-doc 1:22.1-1 [239kB]
    Err http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main netpbm 2:9.20-2
      404 Not Found [IP: 35.9.37.225 80]
    Get:40 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main orbit 0.5.12-1 [123kB]

...a more recent example has even more instances of same.

I've taken to running a loop similar to:

    $ while ! apt-get upgrade -d; do apt-get update; done

...which loops until success of the apt-get upgrade.  This is a bit
brute force (I may add a timer delay), but I've also found the situation
tends to resolve itself given time.  Any ideas what's going on?  I've
found a few list references but no satisfying explanation.

Peace.