Re: Does Netscape cause lockups?

 --- Craig Dickson <crdic@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anthony
Campbell wrote:

> > I'm still desperately seeking the cause of
> intermittent total lockups
> > which occur every few days, always when I'm
> online. I think, but not
> > sure, that Netscape  (4.77) has always been
> running at these times.
> > Kernel 2.4.13ac at present.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this?
>
> Does your hard disk light start flashing constantly
> when this happens?
> What I used to see with Netscape 4.x was that if I
> entered too much text
> in an editor widget in a web form, Netscape would
> freak out and the

yeah memory leak it is the libxpm (netscape likes old
version) + kernel VM + Netscape all together :-)

> whole system would thrash itself to death. I don't
> recall what kernel
> I was running back then, but it was probably in the
> 2.2 series.
>
> This has not happened to me since switching to
> Mozilla, a far superior
> browser in every respect (well, starting with 0.9.4,
> at least).

My god, Mozilla is fine if you got 128Mb RAM and at
least 200MHz CPU. If less than that, I would recommend
Opera, althouth some buggy in file upload and no java
support, but it is fine. Opera will add and fix soon I
hope. Another one should be Galeon, promising ....