RE: acroread,xpdf hassle

On 15-Nov-01 Glen Snyder wrote:
> I've only seen this problem on one computer I use at work, which is
> running potato. If I try to open a pdf with acroread, the text repeats
> itself and then wraps over onto itself, making the document unreadable
> (this is with any pdf file). If I try to advance to another page, it
> locks up, crashes, or I get a segmentation fault. I've tried to purge
> acroread and reinstall.I've also tried deleting .acrorc , but the
> problem still reoccurs.
>
> I have a vodoo3 card and a viewsonic A75f monitor if that matters...and
> I do not have any other problems with display on other programs.
>
> Another issue...I can pull up the pdf files with xpdf. Although the
> files print ok on a ps printer, the letters all display with a dashed
> outline that is nearly illegible. I would imagine that this is a font
> server problem.
>
> Anyway...any ideas, suggestions...or anecdotes of similar experiences
> would be appreciated.

The following may or may not work in your case, but it solved
a very similar-sounding problem I had with recent Acrobat Reader:

When you have opened acroread, click on the "File" button,
then "Preferences" then "General"; then uncheck (disable)
"Smooth Text and Images".

I don't know what the underlying explanation is, but there
is an interaction between acroread's antialiasing algorithm
and certain X displays (not all).

Good luck.
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>