Re: acroread,xpdf hassle

On Thursday 15 November 2001 10:10, Glen Snyder wrote:
> I've only seen this problem on one computer I use at work,
> which is running potato. If I try to open a pdf with acroread,
> the text repeats itself and then wraps over onto itself,
> making the document unreadable (this is with any pdf file). If
> I try to advance to another page, it locks up, crashes, or I
> get a segmentation fault. I've tried to purge acroread and
> reinstall.I've also tried deleting .acrorc , but the problem
> still reoccurs.
>
> I have a vodoo3 card and a viewsonic A75f monitor if that
> matters...and I do not have any other problems with display on
> other programs.
>
> Another issue...I can pull up the pdf files with xpdf.
> Although the files print ok on a ps printer, the letters all
> display with a dashed outline that is nearly illegible. I
> would imagine that this is a font server problem.
>
> Anyway...any ideas, suggestions...or anecdotes of similar
> experiences would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Glen

I have a similar problem running acroread_4.05-3_i386.deb
package.  Before that everything was fine using
acroread_4.05-1_i386.deb.  I tried removing the -3 version and
reinstalling the -1 version with no success.  Both give
segfaults.  This happened to me on two separate progeny machines
even though the packages were grabbed from debian stable.  Since
then I have upgraded one to woody and acroread_4.05-4_i386.deb
in woody seems to fix whatever the problem was.

I took a look at the dependencies of acroread because I thought
maybe the problem might be that progeny was using something
which was incompatible with the stable version of debian but I'm
just not smart enough to figure out what it might be.

I also tried to follow the acroread link through to
/usr/lib/Acrobat4/bin/acroread and quickly found myself lost in
the startup script.

So far I've been using gv which works fine but it doesn't seem
to handle the links in pdfs which is a bummer when its a big
file.

Jesse