Re: NEC Silentwriter Superscript 660 printer support

<list1@centerbox.com> writes:

> I have NEC Silentwriter Superscript 660 printer.
>
> I can access the printer (when it's shared by a windows box) and print fine
> by using HP LaserJet 4 series, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.1.99-b1 driver.
>
> Now, NEC is no longer developing new drivers for this printer and I'd love to
> hook it up to a linux box. I tried different drivers with no sucess.
>
> Anyone knows how to get my printer working ?

I have a NEC Superscript 1800 and when I installed cupsys, I went to
the driver section of NEC's website and downloaded the PPD Windows
driver for my printer (some *.exe file).  (Note: I have not been able
to find any Linux/Unix drivers for this printer.  I had been using lpd
and simply sending postscript files to the printer.)  I unzipped it on
Debian (I don't have easy access to a Windows machine.) and put the
ppd file into /usr/share/cups/model/.

Then I installed my printer following the cupsys docs and specifying
the nec1800.ppd model.  It has worked quite well so far.  I now can
specify where the paper is drawn from, nup, duplex, etc. with
'lp -o xxxx' on the command line.  Hopefully, this will work for you
too.

Brian Flaherty