RE: About the i586 / i386 ' optimized releases ' differences ?

| >| linked code). (Does anyone have benchmark results?) If I remember
| >| correctly, it is debian policy to  use '-g' and then strip non-library
| >| binaries. I'm sure I'll get howls for suggesting it, but I think that
| >| the policy should be to not use '-g' in the stable distribution.
| >
| current stable distribution. It would be great if someone could get some
| hard numbers on the space saved and performance improvements of getting
| rid of debugging symbols in the stable dist (and post it to devel).

Greetings,
	I just did this as a test.  Let's take the ubiquitous "Hello World"
program.  The code:

#include <stdio.h>

int main ( void )
{
    printf( "Hello World\n" );
    return 0;
}

	If you compile this with 'gcc -Wall test.c -o test_clean', the resulting
binary is 4981 bytes.  If you compile it with 'gcc -g -Wall test.c -o
test_debug', the resulting binary is 14181 bytes.  That is a 284% larger
size.  Or if you invert the fraction, the stripped binary is 35% of the size
of the loaded binary.  Another statistic is that the source code is a mere
82 bytes.  Now, I don't suppose that this size comparison is exactly the
same for all generated code, but it is an appreciable difference.

HTH,

Brooks