Re: nvidia drivers & kernel 2.4.14

Peter Good <psgood@petesinternet.net> writes:

> > * Dimitri Maziuk (dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu) spake thusly:
> > > * Kyle Girard (kgirard@chat.carleton.ca) spake thusly:

> > > It's not supposed to. Search kernel mailing list archives for
> > > details. (And email nvidia, ask them to update the drivers.)
> >
> > (Seeing that someone has it working) actually, I've seen messages
> > about nvidia drivers not working on 2.4.14 on the kernel list, but
> > I haven't tried that myself (I have other problems with 2.4.14).
> >
> > Dima
> 2.4.14 + nvidia kernel/glx 1541 works perfectly here, altho i WILL mention
> this.
>
> When i went from 2.4.12 to .14, I had to totally trash the nvidia drivers and
> dir's, it just wouldn't compile otherwise (package error maybe?), but once I
> got around that, up it came. Then, in a fit of madness, I decided not to
> assign an IRQ for VGA in bios, that killed the drivers instantly, unresolved
> symbols. Once I switched that on, it worked perfectly, and has done since,
> including Twinview with SVIDEO out.

Works here too, same config. Although, I haven't fooled around with my
bios settings for a long time, so I can't tell if IRQ for vga is on or
off ;-).

It worked like a charm with the debian nvidia-kernel-src and
glx-src. Of course, the deb's are to be compiled on your box.

> Which 2.4.14 is it that you are using? The source direct from kernel.org? or
> the Debian package? (I'm using direct from kernel.org)

No packages, just plainly from kernel.org. Works. .14 seems to be one
of the most stable kernels, lately. (OK, except that loop.c...)

--
Tschoe,                http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt - Fingerprint:
 Jens                  1AAB 67A2 1068 77CA 6B0A  41A4 18D4 A89B 28D0 F097