Re: Gigabyte GA-7ZX & sound chip

Stephen Gran wrote:

> > OK - I am up for this! Unfortunatly I do not know how. I can think of no
> > occassion when I have tried to get sound from a command line program.
> > Can anyone tell me a command line program that I can install to test to
> > see if the sound module is OK. A CD player or just an exotic type of
> > beep will do!
> >
> > Keith
> cdcd for cd's, mpg123 or mpg321 (different programs) for mp3's or
> whatever.  See what happens.  You may also want to make sure your user
> is in the audio group.  If those work fine, then you've run into the
> Gnome sound problem, probably caused by Gnome trying to run sound on one
> sound server (esd? - I think) when a different one is installed/running.
> Check the archives - someone else had this problem a month or two ago.

CDCD - OK got that, ran that - total silence! :-(
The user is in "audio" - I also tried it as "root", the es1371 module
was enabled in /etc/modules, but silence. Seems to be not a problem to
lay at the feet of Gnome, but certainly someting I need some more
guidance on

  Keith O'Connell                  |     "That which does not kill
  Maidstone, Kent (UK)             |      us, usually still hurts.
  keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk  |   That's just life, I'm afraid"