Re: Gigabyte GA-7ZX & sound chip

Stephen Gran wrote:

> > I have a machine based on a Gigabyte GA-7ZX. It has a 1.2 Ghz AMD and
> > 512Mb. I have managed to establish that the sound chip on the board
> > requires the es1371 module, and this I selected at installation time,
> > and it duly appears in /etc/modules.
> >
> > This is where the problem arises. If the module is left in the
> > /etc/modules file, then my Gnome desktop locks up solid and the only way
> > out is to pull the power lead out of the back of the box! If es1371 is
> > commented-out then Gnome runs perfectly, but in absolute silence.
> >
> > I have had sound running fine on two other boxes with different sound
> > chips, so I am reasonably sure that my method is good in principle, but
> > I cannot get it to work in with particular combination. Hopefully
> > someone else has encountered, and solved, what I clearly cannot.
> >
> > My only requirement is that the solution does not go outside "stable". I
> > am finding Linux a big enough challange without bringing in
> > "testing/unstable/sid" into the equation

> Do you use kdm/gdm?  If you can get to a terminal, try playing music
> outside of the Gnome environment to isolate the problem - I seem to
> recall several people on this list having sound problems in the past few
> months with Gnome, although I don't remeber why.  If you can play sound
> from the terminal, then it _will_ work, just a question of tweaking
> Gnome.

OK - I am up for this! Unfortunatly I do not know how. I can think of no
occassion when I have tried to get sound from a command line program.
Can anyone tell me a command line program that I can install to test to
see if the sound module is OK. A CD player or just an exotic type of
beep will do!

Keith
  Keith O'Connell                  |     "That which does not kill
  Maidstone, Kent (UK)             |      us, usually still hurts.
  keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk  |   That's just life, I'm afraid"