Mouse pointer jumps around

Hi,

Recently I've been experiencing some kind of alien mouse syndrom while
running X. Sometimes my pointer will just jump up and to the right a
bit when I move the mouse, much like you could get by setting the wrong
mouse in your X config, and then all will be back to normal again.

However, I've not changed my mouse config in months and it used to work
flawlessly before. (I've got gpm repeating raw mouse events and X
listening on /dev/gpmdata.)

To give an indication of the timeframe: I first starting experiencing
this problem shortly after upgrading my kernel from 2.4.13 to 2.4.14. I
just tried reverting to 2.4.13, but the problem persists.

At this point I'm not really sure where to start looking for a cause,
so I'm turning to this list for ideas on how to start isolating this
problem.

Btw, this happens about once an hour or so.

Some more details:

	Hardware

3-button Genius serial mouse
AMD K6-2 / 233

	Software (up to date woody)

kernel: 2.4.14 (custom compile)
afterstep: 1.8.8-7
gpm: 1.19.3-6
libqt2: 2:2.3.1-14 (why include libqt2? Hmm, I've got this bias against
                    libqt, so I tend to blame it for all my problems.;)
xbase-clients: 4.1.0-9
xfree86-common: 4.1.0-9
xlibmesa3: 4.1.0-9
xlibs: 4.1.0-9
xserver-common: 4.1.0-9
xserver-xfree86: 4.1.0-9
xutils: 4.1.0-9

	Relevant config files

/etc/gpm.conf:
	device=/dev/ttyS0
	responsiveness=
	repeat_type=raw
	type=ms

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (/dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/gpmdata):
        Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
                Driver          "mouse"
                Option          "CorePointer"
                Option          "Device"                "/dev/mouse"
                Option          "Protocol"              "Microsoft"
        EndSection

--
Tim van Erven
tripudium@chello.nl