HTMLConverter for Java2 - why can't users run it?

When you follow the instructions on Sun's site for installing the
HTMLConverter for Java2, you end up only being able to run the
HTMLConverter.sh file as root.  This is because all the directories seem
to have only rw permissions when the archive is extracted and not rwx
permissions.

Is there some reason for this?

What I did was to create a script called /bin/HTMLConverter like this:
----- snip -------------
#!/bin/sh
echo Starting the HTML Converter for Java2
java -classpath $CLASSPATH:/usr/local/java/htmlconv/converter/classes HTMLConverter

And changed the permissions on the directories to the
/usr/local/java/htmlconv/converter/classes (where I installed it) and
all its subdirectories to rwx for user/group/other.

Is this some security problem or something?  Because I am wondering why
Sun would set it up in such a way that only root could run the
HTMLConverter.

How do all you guru Java programmers run this HTMLConverter?

Cheers.
Mark.