Re: Newbie comments & queries

Ian Balchin wrote:

> Karsten & Matthew,
>
> Thanks, you have cleared up the mysteries for me. Well,
> almost.....
>
> .... soooo, if Debian is looking for a bashrc or profile file, it
> won't mind if it has a dot in front or not, right? :>

Not exactly...

If it's in your home directory, it's got a dot. If it's in /etc, it
hasn't.

> I printed out the BashPrompt-HOWTO and can play with the prompt at
> the prompt.
>
> Joe should colorise, the local university have it running on Free-
> BSD in glorious yellow text on red, but can find nothing in the
> docs or config file.

When you say 'colorise', do you mean basic text/background colour, or do
you mean syntax highlighting?

Vim does syntax highlighting - a C source file will have comments in
blue, variable keywords in green, branch keywords in yellow, constants
in red, etc. I don't think Joe supports this.

> Really shouldn't Debian install with an option for color?

You can always make the suggestion.

Matthew