Re: Tulip chip Netgear card

Robert Waldner wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:37:22 PST, flonesaw@longship.net writes:
> >These are *not* new NICs, I've had them for a few years now.  I am nearly
> >certain that they are 310s.  As I said, both will run on SuSE 6.3 using the
> >standard tulip.c driver. I just need to know what to do to get them to work
> >with Debian 2.2Rev4 Potato.
> >
> >They are already working fine with the 2.2.13 version of Linux (and were
> >working as far back as 2.0.38, again using the standard tulip driver.)
>
> Have you tried the old_tulip-driver? I remember having to do something
>  to that effect when switching from 2.0.x to 2.2.x-kernels.

Aha!  That's it.  Robert, you were one of the people to suggest this.  My new
Debian boxen is now talking to both its gateway, and the Internet beyond.
Simple as pie.  If I had only known about "old_tulip" at the beginning...

Indeed.  The 310TX card by Netgear has the PNIC chip (on my card the chip is
marked PNIC LC82C168). This card requires the module named "old_tulip".  Since
I have a half duplex hub, I pass the parameter "options=13" to set the module
to "MII 100baseTx".  This works perfectly and avoids the periodic notification
that the card is switching to half-duplex.  A complete set of parameter
documentation is on the Tulip driver page:

    http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html

By the way, I like these cards.  I've used them on all my old Linux boxen. They
are fast a trouble free (once one has the proper driver).

Thanks to one and all.

Regards,
Arne
flonesaw@longship.net