Hosed package install

I just installed a Debian 2.2R3, then did a dist-upgrade to R4, and
then another dist-upgrade to unstable.(just in case any of that is
relevant).  I now have one package that's causing me grief because it
fails with the following:

dpkg: error processing xserver-vga16 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

It won't complete config, and I can't even get it to purge, because
it STILL tries to go through the config which one again fails.

I really want it gone, since it belongs to X3, and I would like to
run the X4 in unstable.

Any help in resolving this package issue would be much appreciated.

TIA,
jdk