Re: network card problem

Hi, Richard

I don't know if it could help you but I got the same problem to put my
second nic recognized by the kernel 2.2.19. By default, the kernel would
only use one nic (eth0) . I said by "default" this means the feature .
That was I learned from <http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/> few month
ago. Go there to get better advices.

I don't know whether if it's still remain in kernel 2.4.x .

Assume that you have the module 3c509.o on linux-box .
So, if you use lilo to boot then put this line in /etc/lilo.conf

--------
  append="ether=0,0,eth1"
--------

Next, add this two line in the file /etc/modules.conf

--------
  alias eth0 3c509
  alias eth1 3c509
--------

Then you reboot and see if the kernel could detect the two cards
(by reading /var/log/messages or by command "ifconfig -a")

If somebody could give a better help .

Have fun !

% *** Richard Weil wrote: ***
% I installed the 3c5x9utils package as suggested and I
% think it's indicating the problem, but I'm not sure
% how to interpret the results (or what to do about it).
% I run the diagnostic and it finds both cards. The
% output is approx.:
%
% Generating the activation sequence on port 0x100 for
% card 1
% Activating the card at I/O address 300
% EEPROM contents: [a list]
% An ISA Etherlink III board was activated at I/O 0x300,
% IRQ 5
% eth0: 3c509 found at 0x300
% Window [0: ... 7:]
%
%
% Generating the activation sequence on port 0x100 for
% card 2
% Activating the card at I/O address 300
% EEPROM contents: [a list, different from above]
% An ISA Etherlink III board was activated at I/O 0x300,
% IRQ 10
% eth0: 3c509 found at 0x300
% Window [0: ... 7: (different from above)]
%
% So, it seems to be finding both cards at the different
% IRQs and configuring them both as eth0 at 0x300
% (whatever that means). The 3c5x9utils package includes
% a setup utility, but I'm not sure what to change. Any
% suggestions? Thanks.
%
% Richard
%
% > I'm running testing with a Debian 2.4.12 kernel. Any
% > help is appreicated. Thanks.
% > >
% > > Richard
% >
% > The cards may be setup for using the same resources.
% > Use 'el3diag' from the
% > 3c5x9utils package.  This only reports the settings,
% > to change them you
% > would need the DOS utility for the card.
% > --
% > Greg Madden
% >
% *** END of Message From Richard Weil ***

--
  Truong <tphuong@wol.be>