Re: xinetd refuse connect

Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 12:16, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to run an rsync server from xinetd.  I have a desktop
> > connected via eth0 to a DSL line and eth1 connected to a little hub.
> > My laptop is on the hub too.  When I start the rsync server from the
> > prompt, I can access it from my laptop just fine (on the internal
> > network).  But, when I run it from xinetd, I get this message in my
> > daemon.log:
> >
> > Nov 10 14:48:25 localhost xinetd[2468]: warning: can't get client
> >  address:  Invalid argument
> > Nov 10 14:48:25 localhost xinetd[2468]: refused connect from <no address>
> >
> > This message appears 10 times and then rsyncd is "deactivated because
> > of looping."  In what form or from where is xinetd asking for
> > identification and what is my laptop failing to provide?  I thought it
> > might be related to ident, but all those services are running on my
> > laptop.  I checked the xinetd docs and webpage, but did not see
> > anything related.  When searching google groups, someone had a similar
> > problem with linuxconf running from xinetd, but there were no
> > solutions posted.  Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Have you looked in your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny for
> possible rejections (most likely a PARANOID directive is stopping your
> connection)?  Does /var/log/messages (or syslog) have anything to say
> about this?
>
> --mike

In an effort to test this, I commented out everything in hosts.allow
and hosts.deny, so I believe this will allow everything in.  Then when
I try to connect to "rsync --daemon" started in xinetd, I get these
interesting messages in daemon.log, servicelog, and syslog/messages.

Here is the part of syslog:

Nov 12 12:28:05 localhost xinetd[22066]: warning: can't get client address: Invalid argument
Nov 12 12:28:05 localhost rsync[22070]: warning: can't get client address: Invalid argument
Nov 12 12:28:05 localhost rsync[22070]: connect from unknown

The laptop just sits there waiting for some response from the
desktop.  [daemon.log says the same thing]

And then in servicelog, it indicates that rsync starts from
<no address>:

01/11/12@12:28:05: START: rsyncd pid=22070 from=<no address>

What is interesting here, is that I can telnet and ftp from the laptop
to the desktop and my laptop's ip are determined.  Both ftp and telnet
are started by xinetd too.  So, for some reason, the address is not
getting to rsync.  Could this mean that there is a problem in rsync or
in my configuration?

Later, when I restart xinetd to try again, this message appears in
syslog when xinetd stops and starts:

Nov 12 12:37:42 localhost xinetd[22066]: Exiting...
Nov 12 12:37:43 localhost xinetd[22158]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service = rsyncd

I cannot think of more information to provide, but I will happily
provide any requested.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Brian