Re: boot from rescue into single user or with no modules loaded

--- nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
> Ian Thomas said:
> >
> >    Now the system won't get past these error
> > messages.  It starts to boot, then these messages
> just
> > keep repeating over and over again.  How can I
> boot up
> > with no modules loaded from a boot disk or the
> CD-ROM?
> > I figure if I can do this, I'll update LILO and be
> in
> > good shape.
>
> be patient and you'll succeed. ive had the same
> problems
> before. the screen scrolls like mad spitting out
> those
> errors but the system is still (barely) functional.
>
> best thing i can reccomend is to type very
> carefully,
> don't expect to be able to read whats on the screen
> very
> easily. i remember in vi i would have to exit/reload
> vi about 20 times to be able to edit/save a file.
> because
> the screen kept filling with those errors.
>
> ive done it a few times so i know its possible its
> just
> very annoying :)
>
> nate

    It never finished booting.  I was able to log in
only once.  There Iused vi to edit the lilo.conf file.
 I used ctrl-r to refresh the screen when the
modprobes fell like rain.  I must not have done
something correctly.  The kernel does not load all the
way.  I need a way to unload all the modules before
booting or going into single user, from a rescue
cd-rom or boot disk.

Ian