Re: Message fron chron: cannot get ip address for localhost

Lo, on , November 11, Michael Heldebrant did write:

> lo should be there, it's going to be the major interface, if not the
> only interface (I can't think of why it wouldn't but ... *shrug* I'm not
> that much of an expert), that localhost traffic uses.

My understanding is that it depends on the exact mechanism used to open the
network connection.  If your IP address is 1.2.3.4 and your routing table
is fairly conventional, then all connections made to IP address
1.2.3.4 will, I believe, go out your normal network interface (typically
eth0) and come back in.  Only those connections specifically made to
127.0.0.1 will use the loopback interface.

(IIRC, there's actually a whole block of addresses assigned to the loopback
function; I think it may even be as large as 127.x.x.x.)

Richard