Re: Message fron chron: cannot get ip address for localhost

On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 16:48, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> Ok, I' didn't think I was supposed to have a static ip, but my internet
> address acording to ifconfig has stayed the same; is that normal? It's a
> different address, by the way, if I take out dhcpcd and use pump; I did
> that to see what would happen. Also, my nameservers in /etc/resolve.conf
> are both different from my internet address in ifconfig; is this correct.
> Sorry if I sound a little confused, but having just gotten dsl I'm not
> sure I understand which addresses are which.
> Also, when I run ifconfig, should I also have a loopback interface up or
> not? It is still in my /etc/network/interfaces and I think will come up
> unless I comment it out there.

If you get a "dynamic" address even if it's basically static I'd still
be inclined to suggest using the dhcp-client tools since it may actually
change one day.

The nameservers are provided by the dhcp server to you.  They are going
to be different than the ip provided.  These machines translate names
into ip addresses.

lo should be there, it's going to be the major interface, if not the
only interface (I can't think of why it wouldn't but ... *shrug* I'm not
that much of an expert), that localhost traffic uses.

--mike