Re: php4 on testing is unistallable

I've managed to work around it in a strange way. I've
left my distro as testing but am using php from unstable.

The steps were a bit convoluted but it works:
1) Have the testing distribution.
2) in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf
APT:Default-Reader "testing"
3) in /etc/apt/sources.list
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
4) apt-get update
5.1) apt-get install apache-common/stable
5.2) apt-get install apache/stable
5.3) apt-get install php4/stable
5.4) apt-get install php4-mysql/stable (assuming you need mysql)
6.1) modify your /etc/apache/srm.conf
set your document root variable which will have been removed.
6.2) modify httpd.conf to uncomment out the php4 module line.
7) now php4 with mysql support will work in testing but is the
older version.
7.1) apt-get install php4/unstable
(will remove php4-mysql but will work)
7.2) apt-get install php4-mysql/unstable

That will acheive the desired result of having a testing distribution
with a php4 version LATER than the "stable" one.

sheesh....

Alex