Message fron chron: cannot get ip address for localhost

I need to get at the root of this problem because I am also having
problems with my mail. I am able to get it with fetchmail, but I allways
get errors about "smtp connection to localhost failed  unable to raise
listener  falling back to /usr/sbin/sendmail " during the process. I am
using fetchmail and exim and have dsl through my cable company; am running
dhcpcd. I don't know if this problem has something to do with my
re-install or with my recent acquisition of rdsl. I have tried and tried
reconfiguring exim but nothing seems to help. If I put the name of my
machine as the qualified name in exim, I notice that some messages being
sent to me are coming back as resent to chomiak@maranatha (machine name).
But when I tried putting my isp's domain name there, I found I had a mail
loop. Mail was coming to me through fetchmail but never going to my Pine
inbox or even to /var/spool/mail; it appeared to be sent back to
chomiak@chartermi.net. I watched this over the period of a few fetchmail
runs and my chartermi.net number of messages kept growing when I ran
fetchmail so I finally realized what was happening, especially when they
never showed up in my inbox. When I changed back to Maranatha for the
qualifiedname in  my exim, the loop stopped and i noticed I had a couple
of messages from my chartermi.net mail delivery that said certain messages
were undeliverable because of too many hops. I've never had this problem
before, so I'm not sure where the glitch is.
Exim.conf is long enough that I don't want to include it in my email but
if nobody can help me without seeing that I'll send selected parts of it.
My /etc/hosts contains the following:
127.0.0.1	maranatha

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
The last few lines were apparently added in my last upgrade, and I'm not
sure of their significance.