Re: kernel-package

james martinez, 2001-Nov-11 04:01 -0500:
> Hi,
> I have been trying to compile kernel 2.4.12 with the kernel-package and have
> had some problems. The kernel does get compiled and the package is created
> and I can install and boot the kernel. But when it is booting it gives me
> errors saying that it can't find the modules. I did notice one error when
> running the command make-kpkg kernel_image it is looking for /usr/src/modules
> but I do not have that directory and I am not sure what I need to install to
> have this ddirectory. Any ideas?

Don't worry about that modules error.  If you are going to
compile modules that are not included with the kernel source, you
would put those module directories under /usr/src/modules.  If
this directory doesn't exist, you see the error message, but it
doesn't hurt anything AFAIK.  If you create the /usr/src/modules
directory, but it's empty, you'll see a message stating that,
with the same end result.

What could be happening is that you have compiled drivers into
the new kernel that were modules in the previous kernel.  So when
/etc/modules is checked and the modules listed are called, they
aren't in the new /lib/modules/2.2.12 directory.

hope this helps,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer