Re: OT: mutt message scoring: body/header?

on Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 11:45:42AM +0100, Stephen Rueger (stephen.rueger@hadiko.de) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 08:08:11PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I'm playing with mutt message scoring.  It's interesting, but not quite
> > as powerful as I'd like.
> >
> > It seems that the default mutt build and/or current version doesn't
> > allow for filtering on headers or body.  This reduces the utility of
> > scoring, as you're largely reduced to filtering on sender and subject.
> >
> > Attempting to filter on, say, body returns:
> >
> >     :score '~b Debian' +10
> >     b: not supported in this mode
> >
> > (in the Mutt status line)
> >
> > Anyone know which mode 'mode' refers to, and/or what might be done to
> > make this work?
> >
> > I have worked out a mechanism to pull in a set of default filtering
> > rules, plus folder (list) specific rules using folder-hook and a set of
> > score files.  Details on request.
>
> Quoted from the mutt manual:
>
> |  3.22.  Message Scoring
> |
> |  Usage: score pattern value
> |  Usage: unscore pattern [ pattern ... ]
> |
> |  The score commands adds value to a message's score if pattern matches
> |  it.  pattern is a string in the format described in the ``patterns''
> |  section (note: For efficiency reasons, patterns which scan information
> |  not available in the index, such as ~b, ~B or ~h, may not be used).
>
> This will explain your problems, i think.

Interesting.   My version of mutt doesn't include that comment.

    Package: mutt
    Section: mail
    Installed-Size: 2709
    Maintainer: Waldemar Brodkorb (Linux rulez!) <waldemar.brodkorb@web.de>
    Version: 1.3.17-1

The argument also seems specious as there are other body-scan methods
which can be invoked in index, such as color scans.  My muttrc includes
the following lines:

folder-hook .   "color index yellow black '~b \"^Content-Type: text/html\" "
folder-hook sas-l "color index cyan  black '~b linux | ~b unix"

...both of which require scanning the message body.

Anyone got the straight dope on this?

Peace.