Re: Which kernel is recommended to run in debian testing?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:19:34 -0800, Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ling.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Eric Miller <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
>
> |> Won't compile at all? Perhaps something breaks, that I'm not using...?
> |> I don't have a DVD drive...
>
> 2.4.14 won't build if you include support for the loopback device.
> This has been much discussed on the kernel mailing-list.

Ahh, I see.

> To get it to compile, you have to hand-edit the file loop.c. The
> required change is fairly trivial (delete or comment out two lines),
> but this is sort of embarrassing in what is supposed to be the stable
> kernel-branch, especially after earlier glitches in the 2.4.xx series,

Yes. I've been waiting for 2.4.x  to really stabilize.  I thought 2.4.14
might be it.  So far I've encountered problems with two video games:
  "powermanga" -- just gets into a tight loop unless sound is disabled.
  "xboing" -- some cursor grabbing then losing it completely problem.

  Both are probably problems with the programs themselves.  "Powermanga"
  works fine under 2.2.19, though.  Whereas "xboing" already had some
  bad cursor grabbing behavior...

I haven't yet put the hurt on the kernel to see how it performs...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>