Re: Installation

Hello,

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 11:26:29PM -0500, critter@siscom.net wrote:
> I recently downloaded Debian 2.2 r3 and am trying to install. I boot from
> cd-rom and when I get to Install Operating System Kernel and Modules it asks
> where I want to install from, I say from the cd-rom drive, it tells me to
> enter the first cd-rom, so I do, and then I get prompted to enter the rescue
> disk. What is that and how do I get it?

Hmmm... the rescue disk is on the cdrom, so I would think that you shouldn't
need it, the image is in /install i believe... If you can't get it to work,
then you can make the image w/ rawrite2 (also included on the cd).

> And another thing...
> "Linux is capable of reading and writing information in the Windows VFAT file
> system format. This means that we can access information on the Windows
> partition of the hard drive even when we're running Linux. But to facilitate
> this capability, we'll need to initialize the Windows partition.
>
> So select "mount a previously initialized partition" and create a directory
> name where your Windows partition will be accessed. A name like "/win98"
> or "/windows" will do just fine."
>
> How does this work, is it similar to Wine?

It's actually not similar to wine at all... Wine is a replacement for the
Windows API I believe, whereas mounting a windows partition is exactly the
same as using it in Windows, some great kernel hacker just reverse-engineered
the file-system or something.

Cameron Matheson