Re: /var/log/messages on the desktop

on Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 09:41:12AM -0500, Sunny Dubey (dubeys@bxscience.edu) wrote:
> hey,
>
> how do people get messages that get added to /var/log/messages printed to
> their desktops ??
>
> sort of like the following desktop-screenshot at the bottom
>
> http://indigo.ie/~fowler/screenshot.jpg

    apt-get install xrootconsole

Displays messages to the X root window.  Screenshots:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Images/Desktop/

...scroll down past the first few thumbnails.

It's actually a hacked terminal, IIRC.  You can get a similar result by
taking a transparent terminal stripping all scrollbars and decorations,
and sinking it to the bottom of your window stack.  I've done this with
wterm, for example.  In some cases, the transparency handling is better,
e.g.: if you change your background color or image, wterm picks up the
changes, xrootconsole doesn't.

Peace.