Re: A RH package won't work on Debian

%% Paul 'Baloo' Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:

Thanks for the note...

  pj> On 9 Nov 2001, Paul Smith wrote:
  >> Subject: A RH package won't work on Debian

  pj> This is normal.  It's a bug on Red Hat's side, as RH packages rarely
  pj> work right on RH.

Hey, you're preaching to the converted (for a few years now), but
unfortunately that's not helping me fix my problem.

Plus, it works on Mandrake (which I know is close to RH) and also SuSe,
which is not that close.  Debian is the only distro we've tried that it
_doesn't_ work on.

Further, this same client works on RH 6.2, 7.0, and 7.1, so it's not
just tied to one particular version or kernel or libc or whatever, even
on Red Hat.

  >> I borrowed a laptop with vanilla RH 6.2, and brought it home, and
  >> it works fine.  Also if I boot my system into Windows and use the
  >> Windows version of the VPN client, that works fine.  I can even
  >> open up a Windows session in VMWare on my Linux system and use the
  >> Windows client through that, and _that_ works!

  pj> They probably have it compiled in some different version of
  pj> whatever libraries it uses than you use.  Or it's being anal
  pj> retentive and only going by the (brain-damaged) Red Hat locations
  pj> for files from other packages it depends on.

ldd shows that one user app links with libnsl, libdl, and libc, while
the other links with libpthread, libnsl, libdl, and libc.  That's it.

These are all part of the standard libc package.  RH ships with
different libc's from 2.1.3 (RH 6.2) to 2.2.2 (RH 7.1).  I'm using libc
2.2.4 like a good tester should, but I've also installed an old 2.1.3
and configured the user apps to use that instead of the default libc;
the behavior is identical (seems to work completely, but can't connect
to any hosts).

There are no file location issues (or at least I can't see how there
could be).  There are no errors printed about missing files or
executables, and these things are self-contained anyway.

I've delt with all that stuff before (I run ClearCase on my Debian
box--that takes a little tweaking), but this is different.  I just can't
figure it out.

  >> I know it's an almost impossible long shot, but maybe someone here
  >> can give me some ideas of what to try or where to look?

  pj> I know that problem sometimes develops on Windows boxen when AIM,
  pj> YIM, AOL, Morpheus, or pretty much any other POS program decides
  pj> to screw with the winsocks, but that can't happen here...

I don't use any of that: I'm talking simple HTTP, Telnet, SSH,
etc. connections don't work!

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools