vsound and echo

I recently installed vsound with the intent of burning old episodes of This American Life onto a couple of CD's for a road trip.  It installed with no problems, but when I record it has a really strong unwanted echo.  RealPlayer works fine, but the echo happens in the redirect.  Here is the info:

testing/unstable
vsound-9.5
the latest real player
sawfish (if that matters)

the command line I'm using is:
vsound -f sample.wav -t realplay http://www.thislife.org/ra/7/ram

Any help appreciated.
--
Lang

Is uniformity attainable?  Millions of innocent men, women, and
children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt,
tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards
uniformity.  What has been the effect of coercion?  To make one half
of the world fools, and the other half hypocrites.
  -- Thomas Jefferson