Re: Xwindows GUI

On Thursday 08 November 2001 11:48 pm, 57j wrote:
> I just installed Debian and made the mistake of turning on the Xwindows GUI
> login. How do I turn that off and startup with the text prompt?
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy Cramer

from an earlier discussion, (16 Feb 2001), worked for me:

---------copied text---------------------

  In Debian if "X" is installed, by default, boots into "xdm"
   "gdm" etc. depending upon your window manager installation.
   To avoid this, use [update-rc.d] program,  meant for chang-
   ing init parameters in Sys-V init process.

   Read man for this.

   #update-rc.d -f xdm remove

   The things that are done by the script include removal of
   all system startup links for /etc/init.d/xdm ... i.e.

   /etc/rc0.d/K01xdm
   /etc/rc1.d/K01xdm
   /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm
   /etc/rc3.d/S99xdm
   /etc/rc4.d/S99xdm
   /etc/rc5.d/S99xdm
   /etc/rc6.d/K01xdm

   You will boot into tty mode therafter, and would have to
   use "startx" subsequently to get into "X".

   USM Bish