Re: setting ultra DMA for hdd at boot time?

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 17:01, nate wrote:
> not all systems work good with DMA on. especially some VIA
> chipsets. i had major problems with DMA on them so i stopped
> using the onboard ide and started using promise ata100 cards
> in their place.
> older motherboards are even worse sometimes ..i think debian
> strives to be as conservative as it can with the kernel config.
> just enough to get a system running.

I understand, but without it people will have problems with multimedia
and a slow system. So, maybe there should be an easy way to get this on
for anyone.

> first thing i do when i install any system is compile my own
> kernel for it.
Wanted to save some time .... so many kernel releases in recent month.
Maybe I should simply compile my own ...

 Bye, Steffen