setting ultra DMA for hdd at boot time?

Hi there,

I used to compile my kernel by myself, but now I would like to use the
provided debian kernel images.

A problem I have encountered is that my harddiscs are not in UDMA mode
after boot up. Ok I can set them with hdparms every time and could also
put that in a boot script, but there should be better way as most drives
are now UDMA and things like sound or video output is really bad without
it and of cause copying takes lifetime without it.

I have played around with module parameters, but without success. So,
can someone describe exactly what I have to do?

I wonder why the corresponding kernel parameters are not set by
default in the debian kernels:
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

Bye, Steffen