Re: setting ultra DMA for hdd at boot time?

Steffen Evers said:

> I wonder why the corresponding kernel parameters are not set by
> default in the debian kernels:
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

not all systems work good with DMA on. especially some VIA
chipsets. i had major problems with DMA on them so i stopped
using the onboard ide and started using promise ata100 cards
in their place.

older motherboards are even worse sometimes ..i think debian
strives to be as conservative as it can with the kernel config.
just enough to get a system running.

first thing i do when i install any system is compile my own
kernel for it.

nate