Re: Newbie comments & queries

on Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 08:13:24AM -0500, Brenda J. Butler (bjb@achilles.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 12:35:19PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 05:42:51AM +0200, Ian Balchin (fables@imaginet.co.za) wrote:

> > > # pr myfile -o6 | lpr
>
> Well I didn't know about the pr command before... it seems to be a
> filter for text files, and will re-arrange the text file similarly to
> mpage, psnup, a2ps, enscript, or any of the other postscript output
> re-arrangers.

pr works at the text level.  It's good for taking a long textfile
without pagebreaks or numbering, and adding same.  It's one of the older
Unix utilities.

> As for the "online" aspect of the man pages/docs/info pages, I've
> found you have to install the package of interest in order to view its
> info pages.  Not a problem for stuff like lpr or ps, but... <gripe> I
> wanted to learn about fvwm before installing it, and had to install it
> to read the pages. </gripe>

Many manpages are available online.  There are man-to-web packages for
Debian, someone's prolly got these posted, I'm too lazy to look.

> >     Learning the Korn Shell
>
> Korn Shell will have a lot of similarities with bash, so it's useful
> to have this book.  I've got this one too.

Particulary the scripting examples.

Though frankly I got what I needed from _Nutshell_ and _Power Tools_.

> > > When I run top the processes dissapear off the bottom of the page.  I
> > > can find no key in the help to do this.  I nuked tty5 where I was
> > > running it when I tried to pipe top through more or less.
>
> The reason why top doesn't work through less/more is that top gives
> repeating snapshots of the processes running on the machine, and so is
> not suitable for piping through more or less.

Not strictly.  You can set iterations to '1' and save output.

Peace.