Newbie comments & queries

Hi, all,

My last post seemed to have evaporated into thin air.  Tere have been no
answers so imagine that you didn't see it either.

Dman, to answer you, I can print via lpr but nothing out of cat [file] >
/dev/lp0 _unless_ I print from root when it works.

The lpr switch -i appears to do nothing for the margin. Thus,

# lpr -i6 myfile

gives no margin.

If I do (got out of Printing-Usage-HOWTO)

# pr myfile -o6 | lpr

then I can get a margin, but the lpr switch -i should also work.
Could there be something somewhere overriding it? Have tried second
printer but same problem.

Once again tried the PS2 mouse, but it is dead and I think it is the
motherboard.  That is the end of that. Probably at some time in its life
the mouse was unplugged while live according to local computer shop.

THE FIRST BOOK OF UNIX by Douglas Topham (1990) is the only book on the
subject in the whole library service of the Eastern Cape Province here,
so have that out at the moment.  They found one title on Linux also
recorded, but cannot find it.  Lots of commands to try out.

When I run top the processes dissapear off the bottom of the page.  I can
find no key in the help to do this.  I nuked tty5 where I was running it
when I tried to pipe top through more or less.

With 16Mb ram, I have about 1 left when running logged in as root on tty5
and as user on tty1.  Is that not an excessive consumption for a shell
that is not actually doing anything (top, of course).  What does that
actually mean?  Without being able to see the bottom of top (!) I cannot
add the figures up to see if they add up.

alles van die beste
Ian
    Ian Balchin
    Grahamstown, South Africa.