Woody, reiserfs: used space on partitions < ~100MB?

I've converted a number of partitions on a laptop to reiserfs under
2.4.10.  One think I noted was that reiserfs seems to put quite an
overhead on partition storage.  In my 64 MB /tmp partition, normally
just a few percent used, with reiser the free space wsa about 50%.  I'm
having similar issues with my / partition.

I've currently left /tmp as ext2, but am curious as to why the usage
under / is still 86% (it was closer to 50-60% prior to the switch.

Is this a tunable configuration?

Data?  The reiserfsprogs man pages  and Reiserfs website don't seem to
provide any clues.  Other recommended filesystems that are fast and
relatively error free for /tmp?

Thanks.