Installing X and GNOME Step-by-Step Directions Please

I have had trouble in the past getting debian configured with X and Gnome. I am wanting to install debian so that it starts to X using gdm and GNOME with sawfish as the window manager.  I have read through both the O'Reilly's Learning Debian GNU/Linux and the Debian GNU/Linux Bible and have yet to find clear step by step instructions for doing this.

Box specs are :

AMD K6-II 500mHz
ATI RAGE IIC 4mb PCI Video Card
NEC Accusync 90 monitor
ES1371 chipset soundcard
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 NIC

Would like if possible step-by-step configuration instructions or well commented examples of proper configuration files.  Would like to run monitor at
1600x1200x65536colorsx75hz refresh and use scroll wheel.  Please help if possible

Thank you

Sign up for FREE email from Everyone.net email at http://www.everyone.net