Re: Right way of installing woody?

I recently installed potato on a spare box and upgraded it to woody just to
see how it went. Mostly painless, but not totally.

I made a point to install debconf and apt-utils before doing the regular
dist-upgrade.

The woody packages complained about several scripts which were part of
potato installs which I did not change. These were
/etc/pam.d/login
/etc/manpath.config
/etc/lynx.cfg
among others. It asked me if I wanted to diff, keep original, install new,
etc. I chose to install the new one. The default is to keep the original,
which seems to me to be wrong. Why would I want a new package with an old
config file?

dist-upgrade did not upgrade my kernel, it left me at 2.2. I had to pick and
choose a 2.4 kernel separately. I found the instructions about the initrd
line to be very strange, why doesn't it just modify lilo.conf for me?

~mark