Re: /var/log/syslog

> hello
Hi,

> Can someone tell me how to automatically backup and compress
> /var/log/syslog into gzip format or something. Aparently my computer did
> this for sometime but then stoped doing it and now the file ir over
> 3megabyte.
see /etc/crontab whether /etc/cron.daily is searched for tasks
see /etc/cron.daily whether the file sysklogd resides here
view /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd whether it handles /var/log/syslog
...there should be :
test -x /usr/sbin/syslogd-listfiles || exit 0

cd /var/log
for LOG in `syslogd-listfiles`
do
   if [ -s $LOG ]; then
      savelog -g adm -m 640 -u root -c 7 $LOG >/dev/null
   fi
done

for LOG in `syslogd-listfiles --auth`
do