Re: Newbie comments & queries

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 09:53:05AM -0500, Brenda J. Butler wrote:

| emacs is a text editor (or "editor" as you call it).
| It has syntax highlighting (as does vim) but you can
| only see the highlighting in X windows.  Highlighting
| applies to the file as you see it in the emacs display,
| not as it is printed.  (Is there syntax highlighting for
| text mode emacs, using console text attributes like bold,
| highlight, reversevideo, underline? --Dunno)  It is meant
| to help you edit the file - eg, you can see right away if
| you forgot to close a quote, because all the text after
| the open-quote is coloured like a string (as opposed to
| code).

FYI, vim does colorized syntax highlighting in consoles.  Due to
limitations in console color the gui versions look better (ex,
html/xml comments look the same color as tags in console).  If the
console lacks color (all consoles according to solaris'termcap) then
the highlighting is restricted to bold and underline, etc.  I expect
that emacs can do the same, but I don't use emacs.

-D