Re: IDE CD recorder, in machine with SCSI tape?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:37:40PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> HP cd16ri CD recorder installed in machines with Aadaptec SCSI host card,
> each has exactly on device on the SCSI bus.

I think you said earlier that the CD-R was on hda?  And that it worked?
You can mount discs and all?

<modules deleted>

Ok, when you loaded ide-scsi, did it see the drive?  It should have logged
something saying that it had detected a drive to manage.

> NOw, acording to the CD Recording HOWTO, I should be able to run "cdrecord
> -scanbus" and see what my avaialble devise are. Unfortunately, on both
> machines it just reports 7 slots, one of which has the SCSI tape in it.

It should look like this (unused LUN's removed):

[19:26][pts/3][16][/home/mwilson]
# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,5,0     5) 'ARCHIVE ' 'Python 02635-XXX' '567D' Removable Tape
        0,6,0     6) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1201' '1R08' Removable CD-ROM
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'IOMEGA  ' 'ZIP 100         ' '14.A' Removable Disk
        1,1,0   101) '_NEC    ' 'NR-7700A        ' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM
[19:26][pts/3][16][/home/mwilson]
#

You see the normal SCSI bus on my NCR810 card first, with the tape drive
and the DVD, and then the simulated SCSI bus produced by ide-scsi that has
my Zip and my burner on it.

So.

It seems that something else is taking control of the device before
ide-scsi gets a chance to.  That's usually ide-cd, the normal IDE CDROM
driver in the kernel.  You need to either leave it out (since you can just
let ide-scsi do everything), or else tell it to ignore the burner.

Or make it a module, and load one or the other when you want them.  That
would pretty much mean that you'd have to load ide-scsi by hand when you
wanted it, unless you engaged in some trickery in /etc/modutils.

Try telling ide-cd to ignore the drive, first.  Add:

append="hda=ide-scsi"

to your boot (in lilo.conf) and see then whether ide-scsi can control the
drive.

<silly quote deleted, since it resolves to Digital Research being the
creators of Windows, rather than Microsoft>

--
Marc Wilson
mwilson@moonkingdom.net