Re: two+ kernel compilation questions

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 09:55:19AM -0800, Ben Hartshorne wrote:
> What's the deal with the X.X.XXpreXX kernels as opposed to the X.X.XX
> kernels?  Which one is more recent?  How would I figure that out? (I'm
> looking at 2.2.19 and 2.2.19pre17)

2.2.19pre17 is what potato shipped with.  You should be using 2.2.19.
The pre versions are the older ones.

> Do either of these kernels contain the patch against the local root
> exploit mentioned on slashdot on october 19
> (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/19/141229&mode=thread)?  How
> would I find out?  Where should I get the patch?  What is the debian way
> to apply such a patch (patch < my_patch.diff?)?

Nope, neither of them is patched.  The best way to patch them is:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.19
cd /usr/src
bzcat kernel-source-2.2.19.tar.bz2 | tar -x
cd kernel-source-2.2.19
patch < /path/to/my/patch
make xconfig
make-kpkg --revision hostname.1 --uc --us -rfakeroot buildpackage

That last line assumes that you have the kernel-package deb installed,
and will build a kernel-image, kernel-headers, kernel-doc, and
kernel-source .deb's from your source tree.  I usually name my revisions
hostname.revision, but you can call them whatever you want.

make make-kpkg for more info.