Re: packages - packages list

> My typing here was wrong but I did it right before.  I tried putting
> Packages and Packages.gz on a floppy all I get is an error:
> /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt/Packages     does not exist.  I know I made a
> mistake during the install but I've been over the manual a dozen times and
> can not find where.  Any more ideas?  They are appreicated.  I'll try any
> suggested cure for this except throwing it away.

As a preliminary, you should be able to switch to the 2nd virtual
terminal (VT) by pressing alt+F2. You can get back to the VT I assume
you are using by alt+F1.

(1) Can you make a short experiment with dpkg?
Can you open a file in the 2nd VT and write into it exactly what your
keystrokes are and the system response? In particular, can you do it
for the command dpkg -i theDebYouWant.deb where theDebYouWant.deb is
replaced by some debian package you are trying to install? Finally, can
you post here the file from the other VT?

(2) At the moment you get the error message you quoted before, can you
switch to the 2nd VT and print to another file the output of the
commands mount and ls /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt/ (and post here the
contents of this file too?)