RE: DHCP and Adelphia Cablemodem (dhcpcd)

[Snipped suggestion to compile in CONFIG_FILTER]

This worked. It worked really well. DHCP now appears to work with one minor
problem--

It appears that the DNS isn't being caught by the DHCP-Client. My
resolv.conf is left with nothing but "search" in it-- and this appears to be
causing some problems.

> I have observed  no speed differences between OSes;  maybe M$ would have
> negotiated  a  secret deal  wherein  the  modem  manufacturer would  have
> embedded a secret layer which communicates with Win 9x better, Hehe ;-)

Heh. It's sad that I actually had a quick debate with myself if that could
really be the cause. :)

The cablemdoem is still exhibiting the speed problem (really slow
connection, then eventually drops conenction until power cycled).

My first question is: My Debian system is a 200Mhz Pentium, not running any
form of X. Is it fast enough to keep up with the cablemodem? Maybe this is
the bottleneck? If so, how fast SHOULD the machine be to keep up?

Secondly, could someone point me to a set of tools I can use to debug this
problem? I'm currently on hold with the cable company, but I'm willing to
bet that they won't have a clue what the problem could be (and will get
scared off if I mention Linux..)

Thanks,
	Mike