Re: Debian as multimedia system - startup and shutdown

Meir Kriheli <mksoft@netvision.net.il> writes:

> Is there a way to log in and start a X session (I prefer not to use
> KDM/GDM etc. I know I can use them-at least KDM), and when exiting
> the session shutdown the machine ?

Maybe you want a system that logs you on when switched on and powers
down on logout? You may be able to build it like this (untested, check
man pages):

Install rungetty and configure it to start an X session for your user
instead of running login. Then configure your X session to run
"sudo shutdown -h now" after the window manager. You could do this in
/etc/X11/Xsession but there should be a better place for it.

If you want to have the ability to switch the system off by pressing a
button on the case you have to work on the hardware. One solution for
those having a game port but no use for it is to stick the wires of
the reset switch into button1 of the game port, install jslaunch and
configure "shutdown -h now" as an action for a single press of
button1. There should be equivalent solutions for other ports like the
serial port - as I think about it, it could be possible to configure a
UPS monitor program like upsd to recognize the button press as a
signal to shut down the machine since many UPS devices signal a power
lossage via a status line of a serial port. So this should be nearly
plug&play. :-)

[x] ulf

--
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.