Re: Newbie comments & queries

on Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:16:32AM +0200, Ian Balchin (fables@imaginet.co.za) wrote:
> OK, thanks to all the replies (a busy list!).

;-)

We were all in withdrawal on Friday's downtime....

> I use a dialup, am waiting for a s/h modem that is coming my way, 28.8
> whatever it was that compaq bought out and shut down.

Hmm...28.8 is *really* slow.  You should be able to find 56.6 either new
or used, I'd strongly recommend it.

> I own a bookshop so will work on the buy a book suggestion.

Now *that's* convenient.

> scpi - command not found, must be in a package that is not loaded

scpi?  I remember suggesting lspci.  That's in a package you may not
have installed by default.

> Right serial port? /dev/ttyS[0|1] - for sure.  there could not be
> another combination of mouse protocol & port that I did not try,
> but i did select a ps2 at install, so will go for serial mouse
> this time
>
> I am going to do another install which will get the sound card
> right, and I can get the error message for the lp switches. It
> will also get me the mouse right - i have a serial one to hand

> >     $ cat /proc/pci
> > ...and look for something matching your card (this is a virtual
> > file that lists devices on the system's PCI bus).
>
> I find
>
> Bus 0, device 9, function 0
> VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems Unknown
> Device (rev 33)
>
> Karsten, is the Trident a better bet than the SiS?

Sorry, which card is this?  Video?  Frankly, I don't know.  I don't mess
with that hardware much.  Given your memory config, I'd just forget
about it (see below).

> I will install it for an install this evening to see if we can run all
> the way thru.  Am short on memory (16Mb only) and it is the older type
> that only rich people can afford now.

If you can find more memory (possibly used to save $$), it's going to be
worthwhile.  Running X on your box isn't going to be a very pleasant
experience, you're best leaving it with console only.  In which case,
the video card really doesn't matter.  I'd recommend against trying to
buy new memory -- it's simply not worth it at current prices for old
memory, you'd be better upgrading the box as a whole.

> > > 6. My PS2 mouse does not work on this machine (not in dos either,
> > > so maybe the port is broken) so how do I change this to a plain
> > > serial mouse? In XF86Setup I cannot get the serial mouse to go
> > > with _any_ settings either.
> >
> > It's a ps2 mouse, on psaux.  If nothing else:
> >
> >     $ cat /dev/psaux
> >     # wiggle the mouse
>
> cat: /dev/psaux: No such device
>
> I think the port is dysfunctional. Pity, I found another PS2 mouse
> at a fete yesterday, Genius 3-button model, like new for R2.00
> ($0.22)

You haven't enabled mouse support.  If your mouse has a round connector,
either the old or new style PS/2 type, it should be found at /dev/psaux.
You might try reading from /dev/ttyS00 and/or /dev/ttyS01.

> Have to go, thunder I lightning and the UPS is doing its thing.
>
> I will tackle the printing problem after a reinstall this evening that
> hopefully will see me sound/mouse/video operational.
>
> New stupid question. I stay out of root (load as tty5 always) unless
> necessary. Can I poweroff out of a user account or give myself
> permission to do so?

You can also use su or sudo to get root access to shut the system down.
I use sudo.

> Thanks a lot, will be back.

De nada.